Director of eCommerce
Who We Are
Mockingbird is a digitally native baby gear brand dedicated to empowering today’s parents with thoughtfully designed, high-quality baby gear at a meaningfully lower price point. We launched in early 2019 (garnering the attention of outlets like Good Housekeeping, Romper, and Business Insider!) with seed funding from FirstMark Capital and a small team of three. We’ve since grown into a team of 30+ incredibly diligent, caring, driven individuals, hailing from companies like Harry's, Native, Everlane, and SeatGeek.
While humility is in our team’s DNA, we feel extremely proud of how positively our products and customer experience have been received thus far. The top experts in baby gear have honored us with awards like Babylist's ‘2021 Registry Must-Have’ and Red Tricycle's ‘Best Stroller of 2021’, and perhaps even more importantly, our Mockingbird families tell us every day how much we mean to them (we actually have a whole Slack channel that’s just screenshots like this, this, and this!). The supportive, energetic community that has built up around our brand has honestly even exceeded our own expectations (this thread of congratulatory comments on our 2nd birthday Instagram post says it all…).
We've managed to grow incredibly quickly from a fledgling idea into a profitable startup at significant scale that's already become one of the go-to brands for today's expecting parents. There's still SO much to do, though, as we work on continuing to disrupt the baby category by creating better products and experiences for everyone who chooses to interact with us. And that's where you come in…
What You'd Be Doing
The Mockingbird marketing team is looking for a talented, ambitious self-starter to lead our eCommerce P&L and digital product strategy. The role requires setting and hitting the DTC business goals and managing and optimizing our website (hellomockingbird.com). You would contribute meaningfully to a fast-growing early-stage company and marketing team. This role reports into Mockingbird’s VP of Marketing, who leads our revenue stack (retail & DTC), marketing (paid and organic), web product, and brand strategy.
In essence, your job would be to set achievable yet ambitious revenue and site experience goals for hellomockingbird.com, and then set about to make those goals happen. Specifically, your responsibilities in this role would include:
- Own and lead the strategy and business results for our DTC business on hellomockingbird.com
- Map company strategy into web product and business strategy
- Develop, share, and defend a point-of-view about the role of our website in our customer purchase path and marketing funnel
- Develop and execute the the digital product roadmap for hellomockingbird.com
- Develop DTC initiatives that address specific customer journeys and solve pain points, such as hard-to-find items, to improve the experience and drive business results
- Bring in expertise, external inspiration, and internal stakeholders to shape website initiatives into the best version of themselves, and translate them into detailed requirements equipped for execution
- Conversion rate optimization on-site
- Manage the workflow processes, procedures, guidelines, requirements, and testing plan
- Work with and lead developers, designers, and UI website experts to execute against the roadmap’s initiatives
- Define a framework for the ongoing evolution and prioritization of our website roadmap
- Own and lead the measurement and reporting of our website experience and our DTC business P&L
- Use data and analytics to measure success and report on progress towards business goals for hellomockingbird.com
- Build key reports that allow us to consistently make good data-driven website decisions, including setting and manage KPIs for new features and experiences
What We'll Be Looking For
- 7+ years of experience in direct-to-consumer eCommerce
- Strong direct-consumer digital product experience including knowledge and proven experience with:
- Deep understanding of website UX/UI with customer experience at the forefront
- Multivariate testing and conversion rate optimization best practices
- Google analytics and Shopify
- Agile development
- Digital product roadmap development and management
- Web and mobile standards and UI best practices
- Passion to drive top-line growth using web marketing, analytics and multi-channel leverage
- People management and team-building experience
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to work seamlessly with a cross-functional team of designers, engineers, marketers and product managers
- Excellent project management, technical, analytical, and communication skills
- A self-directed person who operates with passion, urgency, focus, and discipline
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
Why We Think You'll Like It Here
- It’s an exciting time to join. We’re at that perfect moment in our company’s history where we’re at meaningful scale and have real staying power, yet we’re still a very small team with tons of freedom to own your work and build things from scratch.
- We are building something special. Today’s expecting parents have grown up interacting with brands like Harry’s, Warby Parker, Casper, Away, etc. that have taken a more modern, personalized, and relatable approach than legacy competitors; yet when they start shopping for baby gear, their experience is antiquated, stressful, and challenging. We truly have the opportunity to disrupt a category here and become the new go-to for today’s parents.
- Amidst fast growth and lofty ambitions, we still manage to strike a pretty good work/life balance, if we do say so ourselves. We take pride in being diligent and driven, while also maintaining perspective, having fun, and not taking ourselves too seriously.
- We’ve fostered a culture that promotes healthy debate and prioritization of the best ideas, rather than hierarchy and ego. If solving problems with a group of bright individuals is what gets you out of bed every day, you’ll love it here.
- We offer great benefits that we're really proud of, including flexible vacation, a generous parental leave policy, and the opportunity to work remotely whenever you’d like, from wherever you'd like.