VP of People
Who We Are
Mockingbird is a digitally native baby gear brand dedicated to empowering today’s parents with thoughtfully designed, high quality baby gear at a meaningfully lower price point. We launched in early 2019 (garnering the attention of outlets like Good Housekeeping, Romper, and Business Insider!) with seed funding from FirstMark Capital and a small team of three. We’ve since grown into a team of 30+ incredibly diligent, caring, driven individuals, hailing from companies like Harry's, Native, Everlane, and SeatGeek.
While humility is in our team’s DNA, we feel extremely proud of how positively our products and customer experience have been received thus far. The top experts in baby gear have honored us with awards like Babylist's ‘2021 Registry Must-Have’ and Red Tricycle's ‘Best Stroller of 2021’, and perhaps even more importantly, our Mockingbird families tell us every day how much we mean to them (we actually have a whole Slack channel that’s just screenshots like this, this, and this!). The supportive, energetic community that has built up around our brand has honestly even exceeded our own expectations (this thread of congratulatory comments on our 2nd birthday Instagram post says it all…).
We've managed to grow incredibly quickly from a fledgling idea into a profitable startup at significant scale that's already become one of the go-to brands for today's expecting parents. There's still SO much to do, though, as we work on continuing to disrupt the baby category by creating better products and experiences for everyone who chooses to interact with us. And that's where you come in…
What You'd Be Doing
We know every company says this... but we really mean it when we say the most special thing about Mockingbird is our people. We have been so fortunate to assemble such a talented, empathetic team, and the joy and energy we get from working together is palpable. As the size and ambition of our team grows, it’s so important to all of us that we continue solidifying a company culture that is supportive, fulfilling, and empowering. We appreciate how intentional we have to be about this, and how directly our People Ops strategies will influence our long-term success, both individually and collectively. As the VP of People, you’ll be tasked with maximizing our team’s potential and helping us function at our best.
Specifically, your responsibilities would likely include:
- Creating a long-term strategic roadmap for our People Ops function, spanning:
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
- Benefits, Perks, and Policies
- Compensation & Levels
- Performance Management
- Manager Training
- Learning and Development
- Informing the prioritization of your roadmap by gathering relevant and impactful data (e.g. metrics across Employee Engagement, Recruiting, Retention, etc.) and by meeting regularly with employees around the organization
- Working with the CEO on strategies to continue fostering alignment, clarity, and engagement on the Mockingbird team (e.g. communication structures, operating principles, working norms, etc.)
- Building out and managing a world-class People Ops Team to support the successful execution and ongoing implementation of initiatives
What We'll Be Looking For
- Entrepreneurial HR experience & expertise. You’ve successfully led or been a highly responsible part of a People Team at a fast-growing company. You approach People Ops in an agile manner: willing to test new strategies, and iterate as the company changes.
- An innovative, first principles thinker. Despite your ability to draw on concrete experience, you’re open-minded, assessing every project with fresh eyes. You base your approach not just on what you’ve done before or what’s best practice, but on getting creative and thinking about what will work best for the specific situation in front of you.
- A scalable systems thinker. When we build strategies, processes, and programs, we have to do so with an eye towards the future. They can’t just work well in our current environment, they have to have the foundation to be able to scale with us as we do.
- Excellent EQ and communication skills. Particularly as a remote organization, it’s never been more challenging to keep a close pulse on the team and communicate clearly & empathetically. In this role, it’s essential that you have an unusually high EQ, and that you’re thoughtful & effective in your communication, both verbal and written.
- Trustworthy instincts and ethical foundation. In this role, you’re often privy to the most private, sensitive information at the company, so it’s crucial that you have the instincts and discretion to make you a trustworthy representative for our employees and leadership team.
Why We Think You'll Like It Here
- It’s an exciting time to join. We’re at that perfect moment in our company’s history where we’ve already worked out the initial kinks of launching a brand, and we’ve scaled quickly to a place that’s confirmed the growth potential we and our investors saw in this business. But we’re still a very small team with tons of freedom to own your work and build whatever is in your mind’s eye.
- We are building something special. Today’s expecting parents have grown up interacting with brands like Harry’s, Warby Parker, Casper, Away, etc. that have taken a more modern, personalized, and relatable approach than legacy competitors; yet when these same parents start shopping for baby gear, their experience is antiquated, stressful, and challenging. We truly have the opportunity to disrupt a category here and become the new go-to for today’s parents.
- Amidst fast growth and lofty ambitions, we still manage to strike a pretty good work/life balance, if we do say so ourselves. We take pride in being diligent and driven, while also maintaining perspective, having fun, and not taking ourselves too seriously.
- We’ve fostered a culture that promotes healthy debate and prioritization of the best ideas, rather than hierarchy and ego. If solving problems with a group of bright individuals is what gets you out of bed every day, you’ll love it here.
- We offer great benefits that we're really proud of, including flexible vacation, a generous parental leave policy, and the opportunity to work remotely whenever you’d like, from wherever you'd like.